Should we maintain the Social Security Program?

Taxes, finance, economic theory, etc.

Should we maintain the Social Security Program?

Postby 4tees » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:13 pm

This topic reared it's head in another discussion. Thought I would put it here where it "belongs"

Should we maintain the Social Security Program? What alternatives, if any, should replace it?
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

social security, yes in some form

Postby Thomas » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:52 pm

Beat me to it. Very good 4tees. I have no answers except to say that I believe as a nation we owe it to the multitudes of citizens who do not have the acumen to take all of this financial planning into their own hands and yet contribute immeasurably to the common good. They should not be treated as if they have no worth.

My question is, why can't the government invest, if not all, a portion of the social security tax as I believe my state retirement system has? If one government can manage it why not another?

In line with discussing such controversial topics I would like to suggest that just here, if nowhere else, each of us try to keep an open mind and avoid falling back on ideological theories. Chris Rock made this point in his comedy routine that we need to avoid labeling ourselves as conservative, liberal, etc., point being that dogmatic thinking does not often contain all the answers. A smart man will consider all aspects, consult many so called experts before deciding.

We are a nation that has been responsible for some pretty amazing inventions not many if any of which would have ever been discovered without thinking outside the box. Did not the skeptics say to the Wright Brothers "you cannot fly with a heavier than air machine"? Did they not tell Mr. Fulton that his steam boat was folly?
:?:
Last edited by Thomas on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Postby admin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:43 pm

4tees, Thomas, I'm not able to merge threads, so if you could copy any parts of your posts that you'd like to keep into the "Social Security" thread, I'll delete this thread and we can keep the conversation in one place.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Economics