Way to go, Joe

Law, the Constitution, national events, etc.

Re: Way to go, Joe

Postby Odber » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:00 pm

4tees wrote:The last time a president tried to be honest with us he was drummed out of office next election (Carter). Do I believe Obama is more honest than Bush? Yes I do, by a long shot.

Did big oil crash the economy? They are certainly a contributor to the long term problems of our economy, and their price gouging during the oil price run ups certainly made things worse faster, but the problems in our economy go far deeper than that. Our problems stem from those with wealth and power feeling entitled and taking FAR FAR FAR more compensation than is justifyable or deserved, from profits coming before growth of market share and the maintenane or even growth of domestic manufacturing capacity, too much emphasis on productivity instead of maintaining a large enough job pool (people gotta have jobs to make a living), and a reliance on consumerism (short term) rather than long term investment in new industry to drive our economy. Also, real wages have fallen 18% since their peak in 1973.

Wow, thanks. Care to go further with this ? I am all ears and actually flattered that you see what I see.

Please, if we have to start a new thread, let's start one.

I think I finally clicked with someone as to how I feel about this !

Thanks !

Odber
Odber

Postby Thomas » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:16 pm

"... in 2003, Wilson voted to provide federal funds for illegal immigrants’ healthcare. The vote came on the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003, which contained Sec. 1011 authorizing $250,000 annually between 2003 and 2008 for government reimbursements to hospitals who provide treatment for uninsured illegal immigrants. The program has been extended through 2009 and there is currently a bipartisan bill in Congress to make it permanent."

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/1219-Joe-Wilson-Voted-to-Provide-Taxpayer-Money-for-Illegal-Immigrants-Healthcare
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
Thomas

Postby 4tees » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Odber wrote:
Wow, thanks. Care to go further with this ? I am all ears and actually flattered that you see what I see.

Please, if we have to start a new thread, let's start one.

I think I finally clicked with someone as to how I feel about this !

Thanks !

Odber

You could read and revitalize (bring back to life) some of the threads in the economics section, or start a new one if you choose.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby etowah » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Thomas wrote:Racist or not, this Joe you are lauding, is a jerk. He is the antitheses of real Conservative values like those of William F Buckley, Jr. and Barry Goldwater who knew how to disagree agreeably. If you are a sincere conservative you need to reject people like him. He's a petty punk SC pol who will never shine brighter than he shines today. Soon the fool will be no more than a sad footnote in history, a man who forgot the rules of decorum and disrespected the office of the presidency. End of story.

The story should have ended when Joe called the President to apologize.The democrats decided to
make him a whipping boy, and are wasting our time and taxpayer dollars doing so. But hey......
the Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot.

Since you hold the office of president in high esteem, as I do, you must have been disturbed when
the Congressional Black Caucus walked out during an address of Congress by George W. Bush, shortly
after he became President.
He who keeps on dropping the ball doesn't
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby etowah » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Odber wrote:
4tees wrote:I agree the outburst was not racist, but it was highly disrespectful, and very un civil. That guy should be chastized by everyone; he should not receive a single ounce of praise. That he has received praise shows how far we have sunk as a nation.

I agree the outburst was not racist, but people of color and pro obama's will say it was a racist remark.

I disagree however that he should be chastised, he may have spoken out of turn, but what he said is correct ! :lol:

Obama was interviewed on Meet the Press Today. Two times in a row, the moderator, David Gregory,
tried to get him to say that the outburst by Congressman Joe was racially motivated. Two times
Obama refuted that.
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby Thomas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:57 pm

etowah wrote:
Odber wrote:
4tees wrote:I agree the outburst was not racist, but it was highly disrespectful, and very un civil. That guy should be chastized by everyone; he should not receive a single ounce of praise. That he has received praise shows how far we have sunk as a nation.

I agree the outburst was not racist, but people of color and pro obama's will say it was a racist remark.

I disagree however that he should be chastised, he may have spoken out of turn, but what he said is correct ! :lol:

Obama was interviewed on Meet the Press Today. Two times in a row, the moderator, David Gregory,
tried to get him to say that the outburst by Congressman Joe was racially motivated. Two times
Obama refuted that.

And he's correct, I agree. What I understand about how racism works, you may be cruising along enjoying life and out pops and Martian demanding your wallet or your life. Now you have never thought about hating Martians, but suddenly you are cursing Martians at the top of your lungs. Another example, one of my parts is a street kid raised in the big city and accustomed to making ethnic remarks, ergo I am known to speak of people of the same ethnic persuasion as Michael Jordon as Ns. In this case it's not a slur but a term of affection much like how the brothers use it. I've, in fact, been addressed, "hey N, howya doin?" Now to the rest of the story. Friend of mine, a properly raised white boy from the burbs, used to get irritated when I used the term "N" . We actually exchanged words over it on one or two occasions, once punctuated by a plate full of quiche being hurled over the guys head which struck the back of a cabinet and splashed spinach and cheese all over him.

Anyhow, to finish the story, one party time we were hanging out drinking beer when he decided to relate to me how his girl friend had opted to ahem, get too close to a large ex football player who looked just a little bit like Donovan McNabb. In relating this tale of woe to me he was using that "N" word in the angriest of tones. Of course, being the wise guy I can be, I had to remind him of , well, you get the picture, given a negative experience involving a dark skinned dude, the repressed racism bubbled to the surface. :oops: Anyhow, it is my considered opinion that this is what happens with Obama. Someone doesn't like his economic policies or whatever, and criticizes him accompanied by the adjective "N". Such is the nature of mankind. Of course, the same can come from the brown skinned lad who may refer to whitebread or gringo. End of lesson for today. :wink: (this was a true story)
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
Thomas

Postby S » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:40 am

The demagogues of the right wing

"Though all the maps of blood and flesh are posted on the door. There is no one yet who has told us what Boogie Street is for." Leonard Cohen
S

Postby etowah » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Oil pricing is complicated by it's status as a commodity and the high cost and risk of shipping
large tankers through the Persian Gulf.

Best solution is tax incentives and credits for alternative energy sources.
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby 4tees » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:24 pm

etowah wrote:Oil pricing is complicated by it's status as a commodity and the high cost and risk of shipping
large tankers through the Persian Gulf.

Best solution is tax incentives and credits for alternative energy sources.

Oil pricing is influenced by many things, and controlled by many parties. The price of oil as a commodity should not directly translate to the price at the pump, because the price of a gallon of gasoline (or heating oil, or diesel) also contains the cost of processing and transport, and profits. The record profitability of the oil companies during the worst of the collapse of the economy proves conclusively that the oil companies were using the price of oil as an excuse to conduct massive price gouging at the worst of times (not that price gouging should be acceptable at any time). They could have sold fuels for billions less, and still maintained average profitability, but they chose not to. They chose to push the economy into deeper decline so they could enrich themselves despite the additional losses of homes and jobs that resulted. Anyone else that caused so much unnecessary suffering and harm to our people and nation would be called a terrorist.

The best solution is to seize the assets of all the oil companies and those who profit or profited from them for the public good, and use those assets to finance a massive national mobilization to quickly free ourselves from dependence on oil and other fossil fuels. Giving any credits or incentives to the very companies that have created our energy problems is no less stupid than giving Billions to the Financial Criminals who created the economic mess to begin with.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Previous

Return to National Issues