Nominated by the Governor of Illinois..

Law, the Constitution, national events, etc.

Nominated by the Governor of Illinois..

Postby etowah » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:59 pm

and backed by the Illinois Supreme Court:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/31/illinois.senate/

The rule of law should prevail. The governor of Illinois, embattled as he is, has the legal right
to make a senate appointment.
He who keeps on dropping the ball doesn't
want to be in the game.
etowah

Re: Nominated by the Governor of Illinois..

Postby 4tees » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:34 am

I think this would normally be a cut and dry issue as you say, but because the primary issue the Gov is being impeached for is the attempted selling of this very seat, I think this appointment could be in jeorpardy.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby etowah » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:11 pm

4tees wrote:I think this would normally be a cut and dry issue as you say, but because the primary issue the Gov is being impeached for is the attempted selling of this very seat, I think this appointment could be in jeorpardy.

Unless it is proven that Burris paid for, or intended to pay for the seat, I don't see how an appointment by a
sitting governor can be nullified.
When the impeachment hearings were under way for Clinton, none of his executive
powers were curtailed.

Remember that Blagovevich was not heard making a quid pro quo demand: merely blustering in general terms
that the seat was for sale. Bad enough, but is that specific enough to be called a crime?

I hope the impeachment trial will bring out the truth.
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby 4tees » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:52 am

Like I said, I normally would agree 100%, only because of the nature of his alleged wrongdoings do I think there is a slim chance that the appointment could be overturned if the Gov is found guilty.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby etowah » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:48 pm

4tees wrote:Like I said, I normally would agree 100%, only because of the nature of his alleged wrongdoings do I think there is a slim chance that the appointment could be overturned if the Gov is found guilty.

On one of the Sunday morning talk shows-(CBS) Burris indicated that his lawyers would pursue the case. On another
talk show, the host indicated that a U.S. Senate rule requires the state secretary of state to sign off on the governor's
senatorial appointment. This hasn't happened, so that may be enough to kill the appointment.

We're quite familiar with the power of the Secretary of State in Florida . Remember Katherine Harris :?:
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby 4tees » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:28 am

Yesterday it looked like he will be appointed, I have not watched the news yet today.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby etowah » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:44 pm

4tees wrote:Yesterday it looked like he will be appointed, I have not watched the news yet today.

Burris will lend an interesting aspect to the Senate. I can respect a guy who fights for his rights, no matter
what political persuasion. It was fun to see the frantic backpedalling among the Senate Democrats :lol:
want to be in the game.
etowah

Return to National Issues