Global Warming: Fact or Fiction?

Law, the Constitution, national events, etc.

Do you believe global warming is real?

Yes, Global Warming is real, it is purely the result of human activity
30%
Yes, Global Warming is real, it is purely the result of natural climatic cycles
10%
Yes Global Warming is real, it is the result of both natural and human activity
60%
No, Global Warming is not real, scientists are making an honest mistake
No votes
No, Global Warming is a political ploy by liberal tree huggers
No votes

Total votes : 10

Global Warming: Fact or Fiction?

Postby 4tees » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:05 pm

Do you believe global warming is real? I for one believe human activity is accelerating and enhancing the global warming already underway due to natural temperature cycles. This will lead to a severity of global temperatue increase not seen in millions of years. What do you think?
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby admin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Global warming is real, and greenhouse gasses seem to have some level of impact. I'm not convinced one way or another whether we are the primary factor, a negligible one, or somewhere in between. Certainly temperature swings are nothing new to this planet.
admin
Site Admin

Postby MurphyMobile » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:48 pm

4tees-

When you get here to WNC and take a cruise around the entire county
you will see that is is human activity causing gobal warming.

In North Buncombe Co. areaa, we have been watching the trees being
mowed down just to put up McMansions (as everyone seems to call them
on topix.net).

I also believe nature has a play in it, but not nearly as much as humans.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby 4tees » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:32 am

Fortunately we didn?t have to cut any large, mature, healthy trees when we cleared our home site (we did cut a few dead or almost dead larger trees). The site had been cleared in the not too distant past, so it was mostly scrub, saplings, and smaller trees (1 to 3 inches). We actually designed the house, window placement, and are locating the house precisely to save the few larger trees near the house, and to maximize our view around other mature trees nearby. Additionally, an essential part of our long term plan is to plant many new trees and restore other portions of our property ?damaged? by the previous owner when he made a parking area/turn around on part of our property.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby Yellow_Dog » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:51 pm

I think the best description would be that is a natural cycle that has been radically accelerated by man.

My floridiot neighbor(s) feel an uncontrollable urge to cut down all the trees so they can see the smog that is becoming common place here. Truthfully most days view just isn't that good most days. Some don't even remove the trees after they are cut down, and just leave this ugly pile of dead trees which is below their line of vision, but ugly as the people that live in the house. And a majority of they are part time residents with limp phallus symbols on their license plates.

But the sun bakes them in the afternoon. The floridiot next door (previous owner) had all the trees cut down, then had to put in an A/C with a condenser the size of a Buick to cool his house off.

We have not cut our trees, and have a thick canopy in the summer that shades us from the afternoon sun and we seldom need to run the A/C. Of course they may be used to living in a sealed box and don't know that a breeze blowing through the house is really quite nice and its free.
Yellow_Dog

Postby admin » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm fortunate in that once you get out of the right of way, all of my land is heavily forested. I intend to keep the majority of it that way. I do want to put in some fruit and nut trees though, so I'll probably have to thin out at least a small area to let some sunlight in. There's one particular spot that I have in mind where for whatever reason, the majority of the old growth is dead.
admin
Site Admin

Postby 4tees » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:37 am

We are planning to plant fruit and nut trees and raspberry/blueberry bushes too (although the wild critters might eat most of the berries?). We are also thinking about raising our own chickens for eggs. (I don?t know if I could bring myself to kill one to eat since I have a cockatoo (parrot) for a pet, although we certainly eat chicken; (as does my cockatoo, the little cannibal :shock: )) Part of our motivation is we want to be self sufficient in a few areas; we also want fresh organic fruit and eggs at a lower cost (my property will never see anything but organic products and methods applied to it).

We also hope that with care 90% of our property will look like a healthy old growth forest after a decade or two of care and nuturing. There is nothing more peacefull than walking through a healthy living forest, or better yet, living within one.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby admin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:08 pm

If you do go with chicken's, I'm interested in hearing about how that goes. The eggs sound nice. My reservation about chickens for meat isn't so much killing them (I'm a dog person) as it is all the work that goes into preparing one, proportionate to the meat that you get out of it. Some of the critters eating your berries might be a better bet. I bet they're organic. ;)
admin
Site Admin

Postby MurphyMobile » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:41 pm

admin wrote:I'm fortunate in that once you get out of the right of way, all of my land is heavily forested. I intend to keep the majority of it that way. I do want to put in some fruit and nut trees though, so I'll probably have to thin out at least a small area to let some sunlight in. There's one particular spot that I have in mind where for whatever reason, the majority of the old growth is dead.

Sounds a bit like San Franciso, home of the fruits and nuts! :lol:

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby MurphyMobile » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:49 pm

Yellow_Dog:
Some don't even remove the trees after they are cut down, and just leave this ugly pile of dead trees

That is what I see in my small subdivision. We do not have brush pick up - we have to take it to the great area of the landfill!

How many of your neighbors know that those little pesky copperheads just
love piles of wood. It would be really interesting to know the power bill
for that AC.

When I lived on Beaucatcher Rd. I had lots of trees that provided shade.
But the landlord had to take a few trees mostly pine by order of rental
inspections in 1998. It really mad a difference.

I am not fond of pines when the winds and T-storms with lightening hit.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby MurphyMobile » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:57 pm

4tees-

Blackberry bushes (vines) grow wild in a lot of places around here.
I used to pick them and make jam.

I also had a plum tree at one rental property and made TONS of JAM
with the plums fell to the ground. With quart jars of plum jam, I made
jam filled cookies. OMG, were they good. And my dogs and cats like them also.

If you raise chickens for eggs you will love eggs and never go back to
store bough egss. My neighbors were generous with the fresh eggs.
And the rooster makes a wonderful alarm clock. But when the rooster
gets in the hen house for personal business you can hear the chikens
squawking like mad. It is really funny.

So how close are your neighbors? :lol: :lol:

Sounds like your forest will be just like the Joyce Kilmer Forest in Robbinsville, NC.

MM
MurphyMobile

Postby MurphyMobile » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:01 pm

admin wrote:I'm fortunate in that once you get out of the right of way, all of my land is heavily forested. I intend to keep the majority of it that way. I do want to put in some fruit and nut trees though, so I'll probably have to thin out at least a small area to let some sunlight in. There's one particular spot that I have in mind where for whatever reason, the majority of the old growth is dead.

Okay admin,
If you raise pecans I am heading over there. I just like them plain.
And you can add some berries.

You and 4tees will have another Joyce Kilmer park. That is so nice. :wink:

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby Yellow_Dog » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:16 pm

MurphyMobile wrote:

MM 8)

Asheville is the granola city, fruits, nuts, and a few flakes.
Yellow_Dog

Postby admin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:31 am

Yellow_Dog wrote:
MurphyMobile wrote:

MM 8)

Asheville is the granola city, fruits, nuts, and a few flakes.

:lol:

Would it surprise either of you to hear that those sentiments don't stop at the NC/TN border? I've heard more than one Freakville-like reference over here.
admin
Site Admin

Postby 4tees » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:24 pm

MM, the closest any neighbor could be is more than 100 yards away :D . Currently the closest neighbor is about 300 yards away. We are building our house towards the middle of the 8 acres we are keeping (out of our current 13, we will be putting 5 acres on the market pretty soon to help pay for/pay off the house we are building). When all is said and done, about 1/2 acre remain cleared/fruit bushes/chickens, 1/4 acre driveway (our driveway is necessarily quite long), and 1/4 fruit/nut/ornamental trees.

On the other topic,
As I?ve said before, it saddens me that many consider Asheville ?freakville?. My wife, kids, and I all thoroughly enjoy downtown. There is a big difference between personal disapproval and intolerance. I think Asheville area residents should be proud of the tolerance most show toward others ?different? than themselves even when they don?t approve of their behavior personally.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Next

Return to National Issues