Snow

Western North Carolina specific topics.

Snow

Postby MurphyMobile » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:41 am

So how did everyone in the Asheville and surrounding areas enjoy the snow?

This was our first year of shoveling snow out of the driveway and near the mailbox so my wonderful
mail person could deliver those pesky little bills. :lol:

I did have fun in my cul-de-sac doing doughnuts or grodies if you happen to live in Wisconsin. It was a blast.
No cars around to worry about smashing into. But I did have total control of the car.

My hubby and I did not drive anywhere after we heard all the sirens in the area and listening to the scanner about
everyone hitting the black ice. Sorry folks, 4 whee drives do not cut it on ice. :shock:

Lot's of the neighbors built snowmen or snowwomen. One was about 8' tall.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Re: Snow

Postby 4tees » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:55 pm

We were completely snowed in for 4 days, and partly snowed in (requiring a 1/3 mile walk up and down the mountain to the one car I managed to get down to the main road after about 12 hours of work) for several more. We were also without power for a total of more than 2 1/2 days. Thank goodness we have a wood stove, so we kept warm. If climate change results in more frequent snow events like that I'm gonna need to get a snowblower :shock:
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby admin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Aside from the losing power part, I'm jealous. We've only gotten a couple dustings so far this winter.
admin
Site Admin

Postby MurphyMobile » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:27 pm

admin wrote:Aside from the losing power part, I'm jealous. We've only gotten a couple dustings so far this winter.

Losing power is the worst part of snow and ice.

Come on over to WNC. Asheville and Weaverville had a nice coating of ice this morning (1-12-10). Made wallking to the mail box an interesting adventure.

It is the cold that has been on going for the past 3 weeks that has made it difficult to get out and about.

And it just chills me to the bone. Poor Doobie. He loves the cooler weather but not the below 30 deg. So we visit my neighbor so he can have contact with his canine friends. All female of course.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby MurphyMobile » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:34 pm

This was from the Weaverville area. It happened early when school buses were picking up children.
I have to give credit to this driver being able to stop the bus and no injuries.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby etowah » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:24 pm

We arrived in Etowah the Sunday after the snowstorm, hours after the snowplow came through.
It was like a luge tunnel driving to our house. Parked at a neighbors driveway that night,
and shoveled snow the next day. Looked like 8-10 inches coverage. Beautiful!
He who keeps on dropping the ball doesn't
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby MurphyMobile » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57 am

This year is unusual because of the amount of snow and when it started. Shoveling the wet snow is not much fun. Driving in our cul-de-sac was much more interesting.

Tuesday 1-12-10 we had sleet fall around 7 am and it covered the roads before the dusting of snow. Made for driving to be a little tricky.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby etowah » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:52 pm

MurphyMobile wrote:This year is unusual because of the amount of snow and when it started. Shoveling the wet snow is not much fun. Driving in our cul-de-sac was much more interesting.

Tuesday 1-12-10 we had sleet fall around 7 am and it covered the roads before the dusting of snow. Made for driving to be a little tricky.

MM 8)

Yes, the hardest part was shovelling the snowwall that the snowplow formed in front of our driveway,
He who keeps on dropping the ball doesn't
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby MurphyMobile » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:59 am

When I lived in Silver Spring, MD, the snow plows would leave great big mounds of snow on our road, which was a secondary road. These mounds make excellent snow forts. :D
MurphyMobile

Return to Strictly Local