Floods

Western North Carolina specific topics.

Floods

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 am

How's everybody doing with all the rain? My brother is finding it necessary to take an alternative route out of Pisgah Forest area. We are unaffected here. Hooper's Creek is not a problem, probably hasn't flooded ever?

WNC road closures this morning

A number of roads are closed in Buncombe, Henderson and Transylvania counties this morning because of flooding.

The N.C. Department of Transportation says U.S. 64 and U.S. 178 in the Rosman area have reopened after being closed overnight.

Roads reported as closed so far this morning are:

Buncombe County

Glen Bridge Road in Arden.
Riverside Drive in Asheville.

Henderson County

Warlick Road northwest of Hendersonville.
Banner Farm Road northwest of Hendersonville.
Grove Bridge Road west of Hendersonville.
Eade Road northwest of Hendersonville.
River Road west of Hendersonville.
North Mills River Road.
Butler Bridge Road.
Hooper Lane and Balfour Road.

Transylvania County

Wren Road.
Talley Road.
Old Hendersonville Highway from Ecusta Road to Everett Road.
Hannah Ford Road on the Calvert Road end.
Island Ford Road at the river access.
Wilson Road from Glen Cannon Road to Old Hendersonville Highway.
Barclay Road.
Cascade Lake Road in Little River.
Merrill Lane at Cascade Lake Road.
Green Road.
Davidson River Road at Old Hendersonville Highway.
Sugar Loaf Road.
Old Wagon Road.
Silversteen Road at Cantrell Bridge.
The bridge at Slick Fisher Road.
Cemetery Road.
Cold Mountain Road above North Club Boulevard.
Poplar Lane.
Old Hendersonville Road at Blackhawk Trailer Park.
Everett Road at Fox Crossing.
East Fork Road at Glady Fork Road.
Turkey Pen Mobile Home Park at the entrance.
Baynard Road.
Fox Hollow Road.
Hart Road at Eagles Nest Camp.
Limousine Lane.
Lyons Mountain Road.

And other links from AC-T on line: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
Thomas

Re: Floods

Postby 4tees » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:39 pm

There was a lot of water at various places in the road yesterday, But I saw no serious flooding in my travels.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby Odber » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:28 pm

We live on the ground floor of 2 story apartments in Haw Creek, we got wet. The ground is saturated.
Odber

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Odber wrote:We live on the ground floor of 2 story apartments in Haw Creek, we got wet. The ground is saturated.

Haw Creek Mews? We lived in one of these for a year when we first arrived from Mars.
Thomas

Postby Odber » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Thomas wrote:
Odber wrote:We live on the ground floor of 2 story apartments in Haw Creek, we got wet. The ground is saturated.

Haw Creek Mews? We lived in one of these for a year when we first arrived from Mars.

What ? Are you getting your jolly's off showing where we live ?

What is wrong with you ?
Odber

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Odber wrote:
Thomas wrote:

What is wrong with you ?

My house is flooded, I'm living on the street and hoping you would offer us a place of refuge. Please, I'm old and sick and need a home. :lol: You do realize, perhaps not, that by quoting me you not only just repeated my post but verified to the world this is where you live? Ah these young people today, so impulsive, so illogical. :(
Thomas

Postby admin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:10 pm

No serious flooding in our immediate area, but Atlanta got slammed, and parts of the most direct highway leading there were under water. Glad I don't have any plans to head down there this week.
admin
Site Admin

Postby MurphyMobile » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 am

WeaverVegas did not have much. But all the rain saturated the ground that when it comes time to mowing the yard, my mower may sink. :lol:

Oconee County was hit bad in SC. That area is NE of GA.

There was only one river that went above the flood level, the French Broad.
The flash flooding across the roads from the ditches in Weaverville made it difficult.
I am just glad I did not have to drive at night.

My concern is conoeists and kayakers trying to go down the river. The current underneath is not visible
after most of the flood level has settle down.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby Odber » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 am

MurphyMobile wrote:WeaverVegas did not have much. But all the rain saturated the ground that when it comes time to mowing the yard, my mower may sink. :lol:

Oconee County was hit bad in SC. That area is NE of GA.

There was only one river that went above the flood level, the French Broad.
The flash flooding across the roads from the ditches in Weaverville made it difficult.
I am just glad I did not have to drive at night.

My concern is conoeists and kayakers trying to go down the river. The current underneath is not visible
after most of the flood level has settle down.

MM 8)

I canoe and kayak, and I know how dangerous flooded rivers and lakes can be. The daredevils that think they are superhuman get off doing stupid things like that.
Odber

Postby MurphyMobile » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 am

Odber wrote:

What is wrong with you ?

Hey Odber,

I doubt Thomas is trying to show everyone where you live exactly. He lives in Henderson County and is lower ground than any part of WNC. I can remember having to detour lots of roads that I used as short
cuts to different nursing homes.

This picture is just before the water rose in excess of 18'

Swannonoa Rive rose above the the U-Haul business at the intersection of Tunnel Rd. and Swannanoa Rd.
http://news.webshots.com/photo/1185896151048010373TYiYFl

Here is the entire website.
http://news.webshots.com/album/185895087VvmkVO

MM 8)

MurphyMobile

Postby MurphyMobile » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:54 am

Odber wrote:
I canoe and kayak, and I know how dangerous flooded rivers and lakes can be. The daredevils that think they are superhuman get off doing stupid things like that.

The French Broad River in Transylvania is fun to canoe because it is narrow and you can stop along the river's edge and picnic and take pictures of the wildlife. I once saw a groundhog in a tree. I did not have my camera at the time. But I had a blast watching the cows and horses along the river.

We had a wooden canoe until we had a person check it out. Turns out it had a serious hole at the bow of the canoe. We had it repaired and then sold it.

Now we have an aluminum canoe. This is along the French Broad in the Asheville area. My guess it is
as Sandy Bottoms now called Bent Creek Park.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby Odber » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm

MurphyMobile wrote:
Odber wrote:

The French Broad River in Transylvania is fun to canoe because it is narrow and you can stop along the river's edge and picnic and take pictures of the wildlife. I once saw a groundhog in a tree. I did not have my camera at the time. But I had a blast watching the cows and horses along the river.

We had a wooden canoe until we had a person check it out. Turns out it had a serious hole at the bow of the canoe. We had it repaired and then sold it.

Now we have an aluminum canoe. This is along the French Broad in the Asheville area. My guess it is
as Sandy Bottoms now called Bent Creek Park.

MM 8)

We have a fiberglass Old Town 17 foot and a eastern white cedar 13 foot that was hand made by my grandfather. We also have some inflatable kayaks. We wear the full suit body armour PFD's when we go out.
Odber

Postby MurphyMobile » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:48 am

Odber,

When we go to one of the lakes, we have a packed canoe. One for safety and one for food.

I did try out a kyack and I did not like the feeling of being so low to water. And the water is cold.
Just like a bass boat, I did not like sitting so high above the boat.

Give me a jon boat or a canoe and I am happy. Along with a picnic basket and swim suit and
I am good to go.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby Odber » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:52 pm

MurphyMobile wrote:Odber,

When we go to one of the lakes, we have a packed canoe. One for safety and one for food.

I did try out a kyack and I did not like the feeling of being so low to water. And the water is cold.
Just like a bass boat, I did not like sitting so high above the boat.

Give me a jon boat or a canoe and I am happy. Along with a picnic basket and swim suit and
I am good to go.

MM 8)

We were able to take a 3 day weekend at Lake Hartwell on the SC/GA line this summer. The State Campground on the SC side has a ton of coves and a waterway that the faster lake boats can't run. We paddled for 3 days, water was pee pee warm, the entire trip was enjoyable, except for the people with the young brats in the campground. You should try camping and paddling down there.
Odber

Postby MurphyMobile » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:29 am

Odber,
We were able to take a 3 day weekend at Lake Hartwell on the SC/GA line this summer. The State Campground on the SC side has a ton of coves and a waterway that the faster lake boats can't run. We paddled for 3 days, water was pee pee warm, the entire trip was enjoyable, except for the people with the young brats in the campground. You should try camping and paddling down there.

We have canoed at Lake Santeelah and had a picnic on the lakes edge. And we also jumped out of the canoe and swam. The water was warm at the waist line but rather chilly at the toes.

The lake has lots of coves for canoeing and kayacking. It is unfortunate that housing has boomed along the lake,
A quaint motel had a pier to either fish or drop a boat. It is now gone. The homes in the coves are restricted on how they build. 4,000 sq. ft. and must build up and not out. The homes are almost touching. And they all have
piers. And to get to the pier it is about 30-40 steps down. Most have boats. But I just cannot imagine anyone living in those huge homes ever come out of the house to view, swim or boat on the lake.

My husband went to Lake Jocassee with some friends. He has some cool pictures. I went there years ago with my next door neighbor. She and her dad took a bass boat and we fished. It was great.

It is great to know that other folks really like to go explore the outdoors. Nothing like having a forest, rivers, and lakes out the back door. :)

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Next

Return to Strictly Local