Brevard Music Center - Gem in the Mountains

Western North Carolina specific topics.

Brevard Music Center - Gem in the Mountains

Postby Thomas » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:36 pm

How many of you have heard of or bettter still been to the Brevard Music Center in Brevard? Crazy as it may seem, AC130driver turned me onto this place about three years ago. Peter Serkin was playing there. I know, who's Peter Serkin and what kind of music does he do? Would you believe, Brahms, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and such? Last year Yo Yo Ma was featured. You know, the little Chinese guy who played the cello at Obama's inauguration.

Anyhow, the music center is a beautiful campus serving as a summer school for classical musicians. http://www.brevardmusic.org/. It also serves as the venue for the annual Mountain Music Festival hosted by The Steep Canyon Rangers, a not so local group that will e on tour with Banjo picker and comedian Steve Martin to such places as Carnegie Hall, and the Ryman Auditorium in Nasheville. Three of the boys reside in Asheville, the other two in Brevard. Sorry, this years show is SOLD OUT! In the photo on the left is Mike Guggino, Steve Martin and Woody Platt. These are the two Brevard residents. Woody, in addition to being the leader of the group ( I think) is a local fly fisherman who, in his spare time, serves as a guide. This shot is from last years event which Steve Martin showed up as a surprise guest. Seems the ex SNL star has a home in the area. http://www.steepcanyon.com/ http://www.mountainsongfestival.com/

Image Image
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
Thomas

Re: Brevard Music Center - Gem in the Mountains

Postby etowah » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 pm

We attended a chamber music concert at BMC in July. Brevard College music professors
and students performed. Outstanding!
He who keeps on dropping the ball doesn't
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby MurphyMobile » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:06 pm

When I first moved to Brevard in 1984, I was told about the Music Center by my landlord. I never had much opportunity to go due to work.

Thomas-
When I moved to Brevard, I had an appt. off of Main St. There is a place called Silvermont, that had Thursday night picking and singing. http://www.blueridgemusic.org/SearchResultDetail.asp?EditRecord=155&Region=9

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby etowah » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:46 pm

Silvermont. Is that the little pub, right behind the globe store??
They have a good happy hour :idea:
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby Thomas » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 am

The festival was a sold out sensation I suspect because of Steve Martin, a wild and crazy guy but just a so so banjo picker who was shown up by Steep Canyon Rangers from Asheville, Charles Humphrey III.
Martin's set was songs from his banjo album The Crow, nicely crafted tunes. I must say he has guts playing on stage with some of the top banjo pickers in the business like the two seen here, Tony Trischka and Bela Fleck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jn3KCZEqxc

One of my all time favorites, the Seldom Scene, played two sets. They're an amazing example of how a band can change all of it's personnel save one lone banjo/guitarist, Ben Eldrige, now 71, and still maintain the same sound. Lead vocals sound different but the harmonies this group is most noted for, are mirror images of the band's first albums which appeared in 1971. They called the Rangers out for one song, Orange Blossom special and joked about how those young guys wore them out. In a comic moment the mandolin player could be seen inspecting Ranger Mike Guggino, of Brevard as he displayed his lightening pickin'.

Speaking of lightening pickin' on the mandolin, the nights star attraction, David Grisman with his quintet, dazzled, but then Grisman is only 64 in a business that has a whole lot of standout artists in their seventies and even eighties. Grisman is noted for his own brand of music, a sort of jazz style he calls Dawg music, bu thas played with such greats as Peter Rowan, Vassar Clements and Jerry Garcia. Here is is looking a tad younger, with Garcia. Image

Shouldn't short change Shannon Whitworth, a local talent who has just returned home from a tour out in California. Shannon will be among several local musicians at the Grey Eagle on Tuesday playing a benefit for Palmera Romeo. I think I was at this concert at the Grey Eagle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4cudeieTNY
Thomas

Postby MurphyMobile » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 am

etowah wrote:Silvermont. Is that the little pub, right behind the globe store??
They have a good happy hour :idea:

I don't know. Maybe I should drive down and visit one of my old stomping grounds. :lol:

While I was living there, It was a mansion under rejuvenation. It had a recreational area where you could play basketball and swings. On Thursday night, it was Picking on the front porch.

Since the location was on the east end of Main Street in a residential neighborhood (because it was a home to The Siversteens), I am not aware of any stores around there.

But I can easily drive there and scoped out the neighborhood. It has been about 10 years since I actually drove around the entire town. I can eve check out the round-about they heave in the center of town.
http://www.visitwaterfalls.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=54
There are some small shops of the main intersection of downtown Brevard.

I am not sure about any happy hours within the city limits. It has been a long time since I visited and
I do not know their liquor laws. It was a dry city for years. But they did have a great ABC shop between the downtown area and the hospital. Kinda convenient.

MM 8)

MurphyMobile

Postby etowah » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info about the Silvermont Mansion. I'll be sure to visit it soon.
I've shopped at the antique mall on the east end of Main Street-across the street from
the Chamber of Commerce. Prices are more reasonable than in Hendersonville.
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby Thomas » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:48 am

I'm wondering why the devil you are posting all over this dead piece of work about your silly iphone. Can't you see what you're doing or are you some kind of new style spam artist? :?: :?:
Thomas

Return to Strictly Local