Hendersonville in the top 10...

Western North Carolina specific topics.

Hendersonville in the top 10...

Postby etowah » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:06 pm

of Southern Living Magazine favorites:http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20090819/NEWS/908199991?Title=Hendersonville-ranked-10
He who keeps on dropping the ball doesn't
want to be in the game.
etowah

Re: Hendersonville in the top 10...

Postby 4tees » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:08 am

It doesn't surprise me, somewhere in WNC usually makes those best lists. I'm sure I don't have to explain why :D
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby etowah » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Downtown Asheville and Hendersonville certainly do contrast!
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby admin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:44 pm

No surprise there. Between Champas, and all the trails in the area, Hendersonville's a great place to be.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Thomas » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:45 am

Is my daughter psychic? She and her, husband to be, have taken up residence in Hendersonville and invested tons of energy and no small sum of money, in renovating a nice old house. Bigger still, they are well on their way to having a lucrative baking business. Some where in these pages there is a review. http://hendersonvilleepicurean.blogspot ... le-sc.html

In any case, they will be opening their business downtown sometime this fall. Currently, my daughter is wholesaling baked goods at Square 1 Bistro and Four Seasons Produce in Hendersonville, and at The Carousel in Ednyville. The move into town will be the first public exposure where folks can actually see the venture in progress. More news as it develops but who would believe the luck, to latch onto a profitable business model amidst a recession.

Both she and her beaux are trained chefs with pastries a specialty. She met the young man at L'Auberge De Sedona, an rather upscale resort in the Arizona tourist town where we lived for nine years prior to our move here. They have both worked in some very upscale resorts in the Southwest including nationally known Spas in Tucson. Matthew is his name and he is currently employed at a country club near Boone but hopes to leave that job when things start cooking here. In any case, it's a strange gig for he is off a big part of the year and thus will soon be again free to put his total energy into the new business venture. Oh, if you know of anybody looking to buy a custom wedding cake, this is a specialty that has been a big money maker over the years mostly in the Boone area but now a job in Hendersonville is in the bag.

Personally this has been a strange trip for us for we moved here with Asheville as a focus but ended up in Fletcher and now feel Hendersonville to be our home though we actually reside in an exurb north of the town. But what of the degree from ASU, summa cum laude with a major in interior design? This was achieved barely two years ago as an older student, yet she, my daughter, has found no opportunities in the current climate to apply these skills she did put them to good use in the renovation project. Side note, they are the owners of a huge wood fired oven in which Matthew will bake his breads modeled on old European styles as well as, perhaps, small pizzas to sell in the local shops.
Attachments
DSCN0041.JPG
DSCN0041.JPG (195.74 KiB) Viewed 23353 times
Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Poster's request
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
Thomas

Postby HvilleEpicurean » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Here are two mentions of The Underground Baking Company:

http://hendersonvilleepicurean.blogspot ... ebuts.html

and

http://hendersonvilleepicurean.blogspot ... aking.html

We're happy you all moved here. I've had some of your daughter's baked goods and can't wait for the bakery to open!!
HvilleEpicurean

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 am

HvilleEpicurean wrote:Here are two mentions of The Underground Baking Company:

http://hendersonvilleepicurean.blogspot ... ebuts.html

and

http://hendersonvilleepicurean.blogspot ... aking.html

We're happy you all moved here. I've had some of your daughter's baked goods and can't wait for the bakery to open!!

Wow, there are actually some eyes on this forum I never would have guessed. Thank you, only complaint I have is, we get to grow plump from day old cakes and such. Soon. She has connected with a coffee shop owner out toward Lake Lure, a new place, name of which I don't know, but it's doing a lot of business with a variety of clientele, area workers and residents.
Thomas

Postby etowah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey Thomas, I'll be sure to stop by the shop to buy some goodies.
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby Thomas » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 am

OK, keep you posted. The post needs editing, however, but that is now in the hands of the admin. and, as yet, he has not responded. Things are posted are not yet a done deal. Yes, the venture is definitely a done deal but the devil is in the details, so to speak. In fact the goodies are today available at one or two outlets.
Thomas

Postby admin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Thomas, I've edited the post. I'll be sure to stop by next time I'm in the neighborhood.
admin
Site Admin

Postby MurphyMobile » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:45 am

admin wrote:No surprise there. Between Champas, and all the trails in the area, Hendersonville's a great place to be.

Would you tell me what Champas is?

Hendersonville is a nice place, unless you have to get onto 4-Season's Blvd. from I-26. :lol:
It is a real nightmare with the traffic.

But it is not much different from Weaverville, now that is has the new Super WalMart , Lowes, and a future ABC
store. I think I will hang there after shopping. :roll:

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby Thomas » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:51 pm

If you're driving out of Hendersonville heading east on Hwy 64, about three miles past the mall where Super Walmart sits, next to a gas station on the left, there is a little coffee shop called Carousel. It's near a corner. In that shop you can buy some of my daughter's yummy stuff, and, as I understand it, an excellent cup of coffee as well.
Thomas

Postby MurphyMobile » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:48 am

Thomas wrote:If you're driving out of Hendersonville heading east on Hwy 64, about three miles past the mall where Super Walmart sits, next to a gas station on the left, there is a little coffee shop called Carousel. It's near a corner. In that shop you can buy some of my daughter's yummy stuff, and, as I understand it, an excellent cup of coffee as well.

Well that is a part of Hendersonville I do like. Thanks for informatin.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby admin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:10 pm

MurphyMobile wrote:
admin wrote:No surprise there. Between Champas, and all the trails in the area, Hendersonville's a great place to be.

Would you tell me what Champas is?

MM 8)

It's an awesome Thai and Sushi place in the downtown area.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:12 pm

Thomas wrote:If you're driving out of Hendersonville heading east on Hwy 64, about three miles past the mall where Super Walmart sits, next to a gas station on the left, there is a little coffee shop called Carousel. It's near a corner. In that shop you can buy some of my daughter's yummy stuff, and, as I understand it, an excellent cup of coffee as well.

I think I've been there before. Nice owners, and lots of tasty ways to caffeinate yourself.
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Strictly Local