Wal-Mart: More harm than good?

Western North Carolina specific topics.

Wal-Mart: More harm than good?

Postby 4tees » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:46 pm

Do you think more supercenters would harm or help the Asheville economy. Is there any difference between the short term and long term effects?
Don't be a sheeple
User avatar
4tees
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: 3250 ft in Beautiful WNC

Postby MurphyMobile » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:01 pm

I like the 24 hour shopping that Wal-mart has for both foods and clothes.
But I have to draw the line when there are 3 within the area, and the
CEOs are wanting to build more in this small area.

Until the city, county and state can design better streets, roads, and interstates to the stores already standing, I do not see the need for any
more wal-marts in Buncombe and neighboring counties.

Also, the real people that make the decisions in Asheville do not sit on the
council or board, but their voices are heard.

MM 8)
Image
User avatar
MurphyMobile
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby AC130driver » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:51 pm

If the people don't like the store's location, they won't shop there
AC130driver
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:38 am

Postby Yellow_Dog » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:58 pm

Build it and they will come, or not 8)

Let's see how should we view this?

Free enterprise combined with the freedom of choice :shock:

How could possibly work?

Very well, thank you :D
Yellow_Dog
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Economic wasteland of Bush's follies

Postby 4tees » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:29 am

Yellow_Dog wrote:Build it and they will come, or not 8)

Let's see how should we view this?

Free enterprise combined with the freedom of choice :shock:

How could possibly work?

Very well, thank you :D


Wal-Mart is very monopolistic in the way it has an insurmountable price advantage over small local "competitors" because of its size. This alone should make one think twice about desiring further Wal-Mart expansion.
Don't be a sheeple
User avatar
4tees
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: 3250 ft in Beautiful WNC

Re: Wal-Mart: More harm than good?

Postby author » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:19 pm

4tees wrote:Do you think more supercenters would harm or help the Asheville economy. Is there any difference between the short term and long term effects?


I believe more big box stores are a foregone conclusion. The reason's simply economic pressure. Asheville's population has grown by 20,000 people in just the last ten years and that rate of increase is... ummm.... increasing with every bus that comes in from up Nawth.

So... more big box stores will be built just because big box store companies (Walmart at the front of these) know a good market when they see one. And, because of the all the new people coming, we'll get more stores one way or the other.

It is, perhaps, somewhat ironic that these new "progressive"-minded northerners (and, worse, FLATlanders) who are so against Walmart, etc., are the very cause of those stores coming in.

Hoist on their own petards, they are, aye?

:)
author
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:58 pm
Location: Alexander, NC

Re: Wal-Mart: More harm than good?

Postby 4tees » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:23 pm

author wrote: I believe more big box stores are a foregone conclusion. The reason's simply economic pressure. Asheville's population has grown by 20,000 people in just the last ten years and that rate of increase is... ummm.... increasing with every bus that comes in from up Nawth.

So... more big box stores will be built just because big box store companies (Walmart at the front of these) know a good market when they see one. And, because of the all the new people coming, we'll get more stores one way or the other.

It is, perhaps, somewhat ironic that these new "progressive"-minded northerners (and, worse, FLATlanders) who are so against Walmart, etc., are the very cause of those stores coming in.

Hoist on their own petards, they are, aye?

:)


I disagree; if it weren't for the big box stores, locally or regionally owned businesses would spring up to meet the needs of the growing population.
Don't be a sheeple
User avatar
4tees
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: 3250 ft in Beautiful WNC

Postby AC130driver » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:22 pm

Check out WalMart's $5 DVD bin. Some excellent bargains to be had.
AC130driver
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:38 am

Postby etowah » Sat May 06, 2006 10:46 pm

4tees wrote:
Yellow_Dog wrote:Build it and they will come, or not 8)

Let's see how should we view this?

Free enterprise combined with the freedom of choice :shock:

How could possibly work?

Very well, thank you :D


Wal-Mart is very monopolistic in the way it has an insurmountable price advantage over small local "competitors" because of its size. This alone should make one think twice about desiring further Wal-Mart expansion.


I have met one clothing store owner who buys clothes on clearance, out
of season, at discount stores, then resells them for a profit.
He who keeps on dropping the ball doesn't
want to be in the game.
etowah
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Florida

Postby Thomas » Sun May 07, 2006 5:20 am

Wal-Mart is very monopolistic in the way it has an insurmountable price advantage over small local "competitors" because of its size


Sorry to disagree with this statement. My heart says you are right but my pockets say, too bad, so sad but is this not what the capitalist system is all about? Beats what the oil and drug companies are doing.

What to do? We have enough money to get by and live a resonably comfortable life but have always been bargain hunters who rarely pay list price for anything. We do not own one major item purchased at list price, not even our home which was sold to us nearly 20% below market value.

Even my wife was a bargain, packaged beautifully but a cheap date by any standard. Cheap as in inexpensive. :? She probably would not say that about me, a cause of too much money spent on mental health issues :lol:
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
User avatar
Thomas
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:26 am
Location: Fletcher, NC

Postby 4tees » Sun May 07, 2006 7:14 am

Thomas wrote:
Wal-Mart is very monopolistic in the way it has an insurmountable price advantage over small local "competitors" because of its size


Sorry to disagree with this statement. My heart says you are right but my pockets say, too bad, so sad but is this not what the capitalist system is all about? Beats what the oil and drug companies are doing.

What to do? We have enough money to get by and live a resonably comfortable life but have always been bargain hunters who rarely pay list price for anything. We do not own one major item purchased at list price, not even our home which was sold to us nearly 20% below market value.

Even my wife was a bargain, packaged beautifully but a cheap date by any standard. Cheap as in inexpensive. :? She probably would not say that about me, a cause of too much money spent on mental health issues :lol:


That you like Wal-Mart's prices has nothing to do with the fact that Wal-Mart is monopolistic in some aspects. Small local stores simply can not compete head to head with Wal-Mart's prices on the items they sell, it doesn't matter how well they are run. They either find some niche market Wal-Mart doesn't "serve" or die. There is no ?competitive free market? when Wal-Mart enters the picture.
Don't be a sheeple
User avatar
4tees
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: 3250 ft in Beautiful WNC

Postby Thomas » Sun May 07, 2006 8:04 am

What is a competitive free market but one where prices bring in the buyers? I'm not following your logic here. I am clearly torn between thinking Walmart to be a big bully who's workers are not getting a fair shake and the necessity of saving money and feeling any attempt to boycott them or block their growth is bound to end in failure.

I've supported unionization efforts but don't see that happening so what do you propose as a solution? I'm at a personal standstill on this whole issue, wish for things to improve for those affected by their policies and yet cannot keep myself from shopping there.
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
User avatar
Thomas
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:26 am
Location: Fletcher, NC

Postby 4tees » Sun May 07, 2006 9:53 am

Thomas wrote:What is a competitive free market but one where prices bring in the buyers? I'm not following your logic here.


There is far more to making an open free market than just the prices offered to consumers. When one company so controls the suppliers to a market that other companies can't compete in the same market you have a monopoly. No potential for competition = no free market
Don't be a sheeple
User avatar
4tees
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: 3250 ft in Beautiful WNC

Postby Thomas » Sun May 07, 2006 10:06 am

It's all far too philosophical to fit my pocketbook 4tees. The question is not what is wrong but how to remedy it? I confess, myself, to be a far better critic than finder of solutions, especially for such a complex situation. Just reading some of the facts around this Walmart issue, and not just locally, I am at a loss to do anything other than to continue my trips to the nearest super store. :(
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
User avatar
Thomas
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:26 am
Location: Fletcher, NC

Postby 4tees » Sun May 07, 2006 10:10 am

Thomas wrote:It's all far too philosophical to fit my pocketbook 4tees. The question is not what is wrong but how to remedy it? I confess, myself, to be a far better critic than finder of solutions, especially for such a complex situation. Just reading some of the facts around this Walmart issue, and not just locally, I am at a loss to do anything other than to continue my trips to the nearest super store. :(


The only way to remedy it is to put the national best interests before corporate profits. Contrary to the claims of those with self serving motives, the two are not the same.
Don't be a sheeple
User avatar
4tees
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: 3250 ft in Beautiful WNC

Next

Return to Strictly Local

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron