Should development be strictly controlled in WNC?

Western North Carolina specific topics.

Postby 4tees » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:43 pm

author wrote:4tees, I do not believe I am stereotyping, I did note there are a lot of nice Northerners. In fact, most people moving into the area, taken as individuals, are fine folk and I get along with them fine. Where we have trouble is when, as a group, newcomers try to apply the concepts from where they grew up as the norm of behavior here. That just does not work. Learn our ways!

As to bigotry, I am probably the LEAST bigoted mountaineer you're meet. As a longtime writer, I visit all sorts of different worlds and it is my stock in trade to understand PEOPLE of all races, nationalities, persuasions, lifestyles, etc. I like people. I understand people. It's political concepts that disgust me.

Concerning old barns, I own several of them. Full of rats and mice and mud dobber bees. Swiss-cheesed by powder post beetles. Give me a nice clean steel-frame warehouse any day ... Oh, I'm sorry... those buildings I'm putting up on my farm, they're just new fancy store boughten BARNS.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And, you mentioned "forced zoning" in the Leicester area. That surely won't work. A lot of the old boys out here are not as understanding as I am. During the fracas in 1999, which ended in us voting down zoning, there was talk of armed resistance if zoning was attempted. Most of these guys out here have huge armories of rifles and shotguns and some of them were not just blustering. I grew up among these people (I am one) and freedom is taken seriously. The outsiders have been pushing for several decades. I fear some hotheads will start pushing back.

I never said "forced", I said "enforced". Not once have I said that anyone living in WNC should have to be forced into a particular zone once zoning begins. I believe existing residents should be allowed to choose their zoning designation with some latitude from its existing use. Non resident investors, tough luck, if you don?t build your primary residence on that land within 5 years, your land will be zoned to make the most "sense" in line whatever your immediate residential neighbors decide, or to best protect the land and community (I acknowledge this aspect is ?forced?, but then I?ll be honest, I don?t give a rats butt about investors who don?t intend to live in WNC). You would get the ?mixed use ? light commercial?? designation you desire. But henceforth you would be stuck with your decision, because others would use that designation to decide whether they wanted to purchase/build on land adjacent to yours. Only from that point foreword you would need unanimous consent to change your zoning designation.

BTW, I've already met and worked with several wonderful "mountain folk". I can't imagine anyone even nicer than them :D
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby author » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:11 pm

4tees wrote:
author wrote:4tees, I do not believe I am stereotyping, I did note there are a lot of nice Northerners. In fact, most people moving into the area, taken as individuals, are fine folk and I get along with them fine. Where we have trouble is when, as a group, newcomers try to apply the concepts from where they grew up as the norm of behavior here. That just does not work. Learn our ways!

As to bigotry, I am probably the LEAST bigoted mountaineer you're meet. As a longtime writer, I visit all sorts of different worlds and it is my stock in trade to understand PEOPLE of all races, nationalities, persuasions, lifestyles, etc. I like people. I understand people. It's political concepts that disgust me.

Concerning old barns, I own several of them. Full of rats and mice and mud dobber bees. Swiss-cheesed by powder post beetles. Give me a nice clean steel-frame warehouse any day ... Oh, I'm sorry... those buildings I'm putting up on my farm, they're just new fancy store boughten BARNS.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And, you mentioned "forced zoning" in the Leicester area. That surely won't work. A lot of the old boys out here are not as understanding as I am. During the fracas in 1999, which ended in us voting down zoning, there was talk of armed resistance if zoning was attempted. Most of these guys out here have huge armories of rifles and shotguns and some of them were not just blustering. I grew up among these people (I am one) and freedom is taken seriously. The outsiders have been pushing for several decades. I fear some hotheads will start pushing back.

I never said "forced", I said "enforced". Not once have I said that anyone living in WNC should have to be forced into a particular zone once zoning begins. I believe existing residents should be allowed to choose their zoning designation with some latitude from its existing use. Non resident investors, tough luck, if you don?t build your primary residence on that land within 5 years, your land will be zoned to make the most "sense" in line whatever your immediate residential neighbors decide, or to best protect the land and community (I acknowledge this aspect is ?forced?, but then I?ll be honest, I don?t give a rats butt about investors who don?t intend to live in WNC). You would get the ?mixed use ? light commercial?? designation you desire. But henceforth you would be stuck with your decision, because others would use that designation to decide whether they wanted to purchase/build on land adjacent to yours. Only from that point foreword you would need unanimous consent to change your zoning designation.

BTW, I've already met and worked with several wonderful "mountain folk". I can't imagine anyone even nicer than them :D

yes, we can be pert nigh dang nice when we want to.

:)

Basically I agree with your assessement of outside investors... they cause a lot of trouble by running up land prices and throwing developments into every old potato field and former tobacco patch they can find.

But I think my vision on zoning extends far beyond just our mountain area. ... In the 21st century the concept of fixed ZONES simply no longer applies. We need rules, alas, but we also need mixed-use, more informal groupings than zones allows. ... Basically, we need to think deeply and restructure all this for better lives for everyone. So long as we elect idiots to our city councils and county commissions, we get idiotic, outdated solutions.

:oops:
author

Postby 4tees » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:32 pm

I think if you can get past the "word" Zoning we might actually be close to agreement? I think we agree there should be some restrictions on land use, and sometimes the overall good of an "area" must be considered, but that the current way of doing things has failed. If you want to call these restrictions something other than "Zones" so be it; I am not hung up on the name.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby MurphyMobile » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 pm

author:
Where we have trouble is when, as a group, newcomers try to apply the concepts from where they grew up as the norm of behavior here. That just does not work. Learn our ways!

author-
Having lived in Brevard and Asheville, and working in the medical field,
it drove me bonkers listening to the newcomers. First, they did not want
Brevard to get any bigger - DUH - it just did. And then learning that we
do not do things the right way. Whether it was the way we spoke or
wrote, how we raised families, how the land was utilized.

I learned to bite my tongue quite a few times.
MurphyMobile

Postby author » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:26 am

MurphyMobile wrote:author:
Where we have trouble is when, as a group, newcomers try to apply the concepts from where they grew up as the norm of behavior here. That just does not work. Learn our ways!

author-
Having lived in Brevard and Asheville, and working in the medical field,
it drove me bonkers listening to the newcomers. First, they did not want
Brevard to get any bigger - DUH - it just did. And then learning that we
do not do things the right way. Whether it was the way we spoke or
wrote, how we raised families, how the land was utilized.

I learned to bite my tongue quite a few times.

Murph, I lived in Brevard back in the early 70s when I worked at the NASA tracking station up above Rosman. I've been back to Brevard a few times recently (mostly to eat at that fine Chinese restaurant) and was amazed at its growth. It has simply EXPLODED since the 70s... but, so have the rest of our mountains area from Morganton to Murphy.
author

Postby AC130driver » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:31 am

Someone recently asked me to join a group of volunteers that makes a monthly trek to mow grass and clean up around that tracking facility.

Once upon a time, we were forbidden to fly over the place.
AC130driver

Postby author » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:36 am

AC130driver wrote:Someone recently asked me to join a group of volunteers that makes a monthly trek to mow grass and clean up around that tracking facility.

Once upon a time, we were forbidden to fly over the place.

When NASA had it, we didn't like overflights because it messed up the calibration on our instruments. After the Department of Defense took it over, who knows.

But I was back up there myself a few years ago. After it closed down for good, we tried to trade a few hundred acres of land up in Yancey County that bordered the Parkway for it. The Feds were interested but it fell through. I don't know who owns it now but it was a NICE facility with lots of money poured into the buildings. I really enjoyed working there (it was during the Apollo program and we were backup communications for those flights and got to hear everything). I was a telemetry engineer.

:)
author

Postby MurphyMobile » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:18 am

When I resided last in Brevard, we called the Rosman Research Station
and several employees from Mass. worked up there.
And a friend I worked with told me RCA had it. He was an engineer.
When newcomers moved to Brevard, and asked about the station,
some of us would tell them they were SPYING on them to DISCOVER
why they moved to Brevard. :lol:

I was just glad to see that Hwy 276 had not changed much. I liked living
in Brevrad, the county and East Fork. It was close to the forest for hiking
and backpack camping, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. :wink:

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Previous

Return to Strictly Local