Comming in October Windows 7

Re: Comming in October Windows 7

Postby Thomas » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am

MurphyMobile wrote:admin wrote:
I've been testing out various beta versions for a while. For new systems, I would take Windows 7 over Vista any day.

admin-

In simple terms, can you explain the difference between Vista and MS 7? In addition to pick your brain, can you explain this beta stuff? Since I am not IE techie, I have to rely on the internet or someone smart as you. :)

MM 8)

Beta versions are in development. People are encouraged to try them out and give feedback. Regarding OS (Windows 7 vs Vista) I can only say what I have read about speed, weightiness on your system and safety. Windows 7 is supposed to deliver much better results than Vista.
Giz Explains: Why Windows 7 Will Smash Vista
http://gizmodo.com/5070219/giz-explains-why-windows-7-will-smash-vista
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
Thomas

Postby 4tees » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:22 pm

etowah wrote:What classes are you taking this fall, 4-tees?

Introduction to environmental studies
Chemistry I
Statistics I
Mountain weather (really a required writing refresher class for transfer students)
Macro Economics

My Certificate of Major Will be in Ecology. This still requires/allows me to take 92 credits over 3 years, but I decided I was not going to waste my time in 41 hours of humanities, arts, and language to get a second full degree (since they did not accept any credits from my first BS, and 2 AASs :evil: , even though they accepted them for my admission requirements :?).
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby Yellow_Dog » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Thomas wrote:Beta versions are in development. People are encouraged to try them out and give feedback. Regarding OS (Windows 7 vs Vista) I can only say what I have read about speed, weightiness on your system and safety. Windows 7 is supposed to deliver much better results than Vista.

It is beyond beta, the RC (Release Candidate) has been out for months, which I have been running. I installed it on a laptop that absolutely gagged on Vista, but runs W7 very well. In fact while I don't have benchmarks to support this, I'd say that W7 is faster than XP on this laptop. The most obvious improvement I see every time I turn it on is how seamlessly it manages wireless connections.

W7 will probably push Vista into history quickly, relegating it to the same legacy that Windows ME earned, a turkey that should be avoided.
Yellow_Dog

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:56 am

Yellow_Dog wrote:
Thomas wrote:Beta versions are in development. People are encouraged to try them out and give feedback. Regarding OS (Windows 7 vs Vista) I can only say what I have read about speed, weightiness on your system and safety. Windows 7 is supposed to deliver much better results than Vista.

It is beyond beta, the RC (Release Candidate) has been out for months, which I have been running. I installed it on a laptop that absolutely gagged on Vista, but runs W7 very well. In fact while I don't have benchmarks to support this, I'd say that W7 is faster than XP on this laptop. The most obvious improvement I see every time I turn it on is how seamlessly it manages wireless connections.

W7 will probably push Vista into history quickly, relegating it to the same legacy that Windows ME earned, a turkey that should be avoided.

I understand that. My brother has also been using the release candidate for months but, he advised me against playing with it till the final version comes out. Vista will soon be history as far as this machine is concerned. I'm limited by the real estate stuff my wife must use. Multiple listings [InnoVia] only recently updated so she could use IE8. I have her set up on that browser and rarely employ it for anything.
Thomas

Postby Odber » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Thomas wrote:
I understand that. My brother has also been using the release candidate for months but, he advised me against playing with it till the final version comes out. Vista will soon be history as far as this machine is concerned. I'm limited by the real estate stuff my wife must use. Multiple listings [InnoVia] only recently updated so she could use IE8. I have her set up on that browser and rarely employ it for anything.

I am just leARNING XP !
Odber

Postby Thomas » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:03 am

Odber wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I am just leARNING XP !

I don't expect there will be a huge difference in how the OS appears, just how it operates. Your main contact with a computer is the browser. You are using some version of Internet Explorer (IE 7 or IE 8) It's like the difference between driving a Chevy with a four cylinder or the same car with a V6.
Thomas

Postby MurphyMobile » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:18 am

Yellow_Dog wrote: It is beyond beta, the RC (Release Candidate) has been out for months, which I have been running. I installed it on a laptop that absolutely gagged on Vista, but runs W7 very well. In fact while I don't have benchmarks to support this, I'd say that W7 is faster than XP on this laptop. The most obvious improvement I see every time I turn it on is how seamlessly it manages wireless connections.

I have Windows Vista and Google is my home page. And the Google techs changed over to beta and it slowed my downloading to make me perhaps a wee bit ANGRY.

That is why I installed Firefox. I also like the tabs where I can keep my favorite forums on top.

If I get Windows 7, will it write over Windows Vista?

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby Thomas » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:58 am

MurphyMobile wrote:
Yellow_Dog wrote: It is beyond beta, the RC (Release Candidate) has been out for months, which I have been running. I installed it on a laptop that absolutely gagged on Vista, but runs W7 very well. In fact while I don't have benchmarks to support this, I'd say that W7 is faster than XP on this laptop. The most obvious improvement I see every time I turn it on is how seamlessly it manages wireless connections.

I have Windows Vista and Google is my home page. And the Google techs changed over to beta and it slowed my downloading to make me perhaps a wee bit ANGRY.

That is why I installed Firefox. I also like the tabs where I can keep my favorite forums on top.

If I get Windows 7, will it write over Windows Vista?

MM 8)

If you purchase the correct one. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd446674(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_UpgradeFromVista

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:58 pm

I once again flirted with Ubuntu this afternoon but aborted the download. I think it's boredom that causes me to do theses things. I wonder, if I had my very own machine, would I just dump Windows and go all out?
The method I've used twice now, maybe three times is the Windows based “Wubi” installer. It takes a long time, maybe up to two hours, to install what is called a double boot desk top version. What is bothersome is how you access the OS. You need to restart your computer and when the first page pops you have about five seconds or less to push the down arrow and select it over your Windows OS.

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

The Meaning of “Ubuntu” – Explained by Nelson Mandela
http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/06/01/the-meaning-of-ubuntu-explained-by-nelson-mandela/

Thomas

Previous

Return to Religion, Science and Morality