Comming in October Windows 7

Comming in October Windows 7

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:26 am

Purchased a copy of the new Windows OS couple of months ago at half price to be delivered around the last week in Oct. http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx The version I bought will install as an upgrade to Vista. I might have considered changing over to a Linux system such as Ubuntu 9.04 but my wife has business to do on this machine that is compatible only with Windows IE 7&8 thus the next best thing is this widely ballyhooed new OS from Microsoft.

I tried Ubuntu on a dual boot basis for awhile but found I needed to reeducate myself to get around on it and, as noted, there is no version of IE that works on this system. Too bad in a way because business apps mostly work on the default browser, Firefox, but save one. Then there is my wife who is far too troubled by new things to deal with the switch. I, on the other hand, am always looking to keep up with developments and am using Firefox 3.5 which will soon be upgraded. I've played with other browsers and maintain Google Chrome on this machine but rely on Firefox for most tasks.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html http://www.google.com/chrome
"You teach best what you most need to learn." ~ Richard Bach
Thomas

Re: Comming in October Windows 7

Postby 4tees » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 am

I get a free upgrade copy of windows 7 in Oct :D
My sons are already running a not so legal copy on their computers and it is making a big improvement in performance. The copy they are running is 64 bit though, and my legitimate free copy will be 32 bit, so It will be interesting to see how much of the gains in performance are from running a 64 bit OS versus improvements in the software itself over Vista.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby Thomas » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 am

4tees wrote:I get a free upgrade copy of windows 7 in Oct :D
My sons are already running a not so legal copy on their computers and it is making a big improvement in performance. The copy they are running is 64 bit though, and my legitimate free copy will be 32 bit, so It will be interesting to see how much of the gains in performance are from running a 64 bit OS versus improvements in the software itself over Vista.

My brother too has been running a very legal version (Windows 7 Release Candidate) Perhaps this is the one they have. I'm not that up on this stuff. Would like to do a clean install but not certain if the version I've purchased will do that. (7 Home Premium Upgrade) I've been playing the browser wars trying to get things perked up on my not so fast Compaq. I have AT&T DSL, the cheapest version at $19.95/mo. Been looking at upgrading but money is short. Maybe when AT&t U-verse arrives in our neighborhood next spring, I'll switch. Kind of love my DTV but it leaves me stuck with DSL while the new service would give me an option of fiber optics. http://www.att-services.net/att-u-verse.html?mv1=A10u9&gclid=COOptfvW5JwCFQO2sgodXwfpGg
Thomas

Postby MurphyMobile » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:12 am

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/B0F9E641

$119 smakaroos?

Is it worth it 4tees and Thomas?

I have Mozilla Firefox and IE7. I gave up on google chrome. I use firefox browser to read my email. It downloads faster. Then I have to go to IE7 to log onto my drs. office site.

I am not of new things also. But I can be trained. :wink:

So why should one purchase Windows 7 if you have Windows Vista? I am not that computer savvy, so I have from everyone here.

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby Thomas » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:07 am

MurphyMobile wrote:http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/B0F9E641

$119 smakaroos?

Is it worth it 4tees and Thomas?

I have Mozilla Firefox and IE7. I gave up on google chrome. I use firefox browser to read my email. It downloads faster. Then I have to go to IE7 to log onto my drs. office site.

I am not of new things also. But I can be trained. :wink:

So why should one purchase Windows 7 if you have Windows Vista? I am not that computer savvy, so I have from everyone here.

MM 8)

You missed the boat sister. Got a half price deal. Strange you have only IE 7. IE 8 was supposed to be downloaded as an update. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx
I would recommend the upgrade. Also, Firefox 3.5 is available. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=firefox35&gclid=CJKl04G255wCFRkGswodoCNZHw
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:06 am

Thomas

Postby MurphyMobile » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Thomas,

I did download IE-8 but did not like it. The only reason I downloaded it was to find out if it would help my
email. I wanted to get rid of the address: https:// That little "s" slowed down my entire email on google.
I do have other accounts for email, just do not use them. They would be for business reasons if the
time ever came.

I have the latest with firefox. I will keep it, rather than use google chrome. I like the tabs better
on firefox than chrome. My computer is doing nicely.

Well, I do prefer canoeing. :wink:

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Postby etowah » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm with you Murphy-but my preference is mountain hiking :D

The computer stuff is handled by my computer guy :idea:
He who keeps on dropping the ball doesn't
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby MurphyMobile » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:40 pm

etowah wrote:I'm with you Murphy-but my preference is mountain hiking :D

The computer stuff is handled by my computer guy :idea:

I like hiking, camping and canoeing. Oh, I nearly forgot, motorcyling. As of late, we have not done much of any outdoor activities. But I do hike in my little development with Doobie. :wink:

Canoeing along the French Broad River in Transylvania County was the best. I could reach out and touch someone - the cows along the river banks. :D
Just like this:

Since I do not have to use the computer for work, I have lost some of the skills I learned with computed radiography. But I do have a friend that helps. My .5 tells everyone that I am better at the computer than he ever was. :lol:

But that came from trial and error (and lots of them).

I have learned that MS, IE, Firefox, Google etc are all linked together. And one PC will not run smoothly unless you have two of the companies downloaded on the computer.

MurphyMobile

Postby etowah » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks for the inspiration!
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby 4tees » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:59 pm

I would never pay $119 for it, the upgrade came free with my surprisingly nice new laptop I paid 1/2 price for during a brief back to school laptop price war between several big retail chains a few weeks ago.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby etowah » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:19 pm

What classes are you taking this fall, 4-tees?
want to be in the game.
etowah

Postby admin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:56 pm

I've been testing out various beta versions for a while. For new systems, I would take Windows 7 over Vista any day. On the Windows 7 vs. XP question, it depends on what kind of hardware you're running (see below).

4tees wrote:I get a free upgrade copy of windows 7 in Oct :D

In practical terms, the main benefit that 64-bit Windows brings is the ability to address more than 3.25GB or so (the exact amount depends on the system) of RAM. If you have more than that, I recommend a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Otherwise, a 32-bit version of Windows XP will better suit most peoples' needs.

If you're running Vista, and have a free upgrade to Windows 7 option, I'd go for it. Wait a bit after the first release if you want to be conservative.

If you aren't eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7, I wouldn't pay for it in most cases unless you see a compelling reason, or like to be on the cutting edge. Given the price, it will usually make more sense to wait until the next time you replace your computer.

If you work in the IT field, look into Microsoft's Action Packs. You get a boatload of software for $300. Very little of the work that I do these days involves Microsoft products, but it's worth that price to me to stay current.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Thomas » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:14 am

Coming bwaaaaaaaaaaa, please fix my misspelling. How embarrassing. I'd agree with the replacement admin but the machine I have is far too new. I must treat it well and make it last for a few years if possible. Anyhow, you're pushing Linux systems which are FREE
Thomas

Postby MurphyMobile » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:51 am

admin wrote:
I've been testing out various beta versions for a while. For new systems, I would take Windows 7 over Vista any day.

admin-

In simple terms, can you explain the difference between Vista and MS 7? In addition to pick your brain, can you explain this beta stuff? Since I am not IE techie, I have to rely on the internet or someone smart as you. :)

MM 8)
MurphyMobile

Next

Return to Religion, Science and Morality