Freedom of Religion?

Freedom of Religion?

Postby 4tees » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:38 pm

How can the Constitution protect any religion that actively opposes the very ideals, laws, and protections outlined in the Constitution?

After much thought I've come to the conclusion that not all religion is Constitutionally protected. Only those religions or segments of a religion, that are compatible with our rights and laws are protected by the Constitution. Any religion that works toward or teaches and preaches to overthrow or subvert the Constitution and the rights of citizens is not protected, and should be deemed illegal, even if it is a populous or popular branch or religion. This would ban many forms of extremist and fundamentalist religion; radical sects of Islam and Christianity included, unless they changed the incompatible portions of their doctrine.

What do you all think?
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby MurphyMobile » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:33 pm

4tees-

What do you think of the Seventh Day Adventists and other religions
that can claim conscientious objection to going to war?

MM 8)

You sure pick some deep subjects that makes my brain have to go into
overdrive. :D
MurphyMobile

Postby 4tees » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:54 pm

I have no problem with those who have a conscientious objection to war. I despise war and violence; neither should ever be used except in self defense to a direct attack.
Don't be a sheeple
4tees

Postby admin » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:37 pm

Keeping the government out of religious matters is about preventing politicians from imposing their views on others. As far as I'm concerned, you can think whatever you want as long as you don't try to impose those views on others, violating their rights. For example, being a conscientious objector in and of itself does not involve violating anyone's rights. Actually, objecting to conscription sounds like a very Constitutionally sound thing to do.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Religion, Science and Morality